So it goes...

Welcome back! Right now I am working on finishing my AP choice. At first I was reading Emma, by Jane Austen. Emma was definitely a difficult read for me, it seemed like there were just a lot of words on a page which resulted in me becoming uninterested in the book. I ended up not completing the book and switching to a different AP title. I began reading Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, which I am enjoying very much. I expected the book to be very informational and straightforward about war, but it is nothing like that. Vonnegut presents a man who seems to have a very normal life but has a very different view about time than everyone else in the book. He claims that he is kidnapped by aliens and that a year in their time is only a few seconds on Earth. I think it is interesting how Ray Bradbury presents the same idea about alien life in his book The Martian Chronicles. Both Bradbury and Vonnegut display the idea that people, whether they are Martians or humans, think that they are the only ones that have a planet capable of sustaining life.

In Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, the phrase "So it goes" seems to be a common theme throughout the book. This small term represents a popular idea that the narrator of the book seems to have, which is: life goes on. "Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is 'So it goes.'" (27). Although it isn't stated directly, this quote presents the true idea that life always goes on. If your friend or family member were to pass away, you wouldn't be able to freeze time so that you can take as long as you want to mourn, you have to keep going. Your life will not pat you on the back or let you cry on it's shoulder, it's will continue on it's journey and you have to get up and join it.

There is another quote in Slaughterhouse Five that states, "No art is possible without a dance with death" (21). The first time I read this I wondered if there was a deeper meaning to it or if it is just being straight forward about art. Now that I have looked at it several times I am more and more confused by the statement. Do you have to have a close encounter with death to be an artist? My current answer to this is no, you don't have to have an near death experience, because there are several types of artists out there. Some actions, which may draw you near the end of your life, could have been an inspiration to create or practice a certain type of art. But there are also many famous artists who have never had this experience personally. I thought that the statement had a much deeper meaning that I could go into but it seems to be just an opinion of how art is created.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Ray Bradbury

A little about myself and my reading goals